Sunday, September 18, 2011

Where The Heart Is

When I get cranky, my mom will jokingly ask me if I am hungry- most of the time she is right. These days, when I feel myself getting cranky I have to ask myself if I've blogged recently... which I haven't. So here we go!

I've been able to deal with being home in a much better manner. After being reunited with a few of my group members and sharing stories, laughs, and prayers, my heart became calm once more and I am okay with being home. HOW CRAZY.

I guess it's time to share another bit with you about my amazing journey. As usual, I will keep this as short and sweet as I possibly can. 

So there was this boy named Richard. Richard is ten years old, and like Jane, he lives at Canaan Children's Home. Richard was the first child I met at Canaan, literally. In my journal I wrote, "...A half mile away from Canaan's we could hear the children screaming with excitement. When we pulled in the gates the bus was AMBUSHED with extremely happy children. You literally couldn't step off the bus! The first to grab me was Richard, and he didn't let go. He stuck with me the whole night (in the dark) and helped me with my luggage. The only thing I could hear was laughter... pure happiness"

Richard was a prime example of "pure happiness." In America, we bend over backwards just to entertain our children and keep them happy, but all Richard wanted was to hold someone's hand and someone to smile at. He loved to read to me, and he smiled so big when I asked him to show me around his classroom. Everyday when he got home from school he would come find me and just sit... he needed nothing... he asked for nothing... he just held my hand. 

CUTEST MOMENT: One day Richard came and sat by me and sleeping Jane, and he had a very sly, up-to-no-good look on his face. He would hardly talk to me and I couldn't help but laugh because I couldn't figure out what he was up to. Then I noticed that he had a folded piece of paper in is shirt pocket. When I asked what it was, he looked around, glanced at me, then turned his head, "A letter." When I asked who the letter was for, he looked at me with the sternest face I've ever seen in my life, "You!" Needless to say, when I received the letter, he was gone faster than I could show any appreciation.

His bravery, curiosity, love, and smile will always be something I remember. He will always be the boy who needed nothing but a hand to hold and someone to show his love to. I have never felt more love in my entire life. Richard showed me that not only is okay to be quiet, but he also taught me that life isn't just about constant motion, it's enjoying the little things and loving those around you.

Jeremiah 31:3- Long ago the Lord said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself."


No comments:

Post a Comment